Friday, July 13, 2007

What could I be doing better?

Chip and Dan Heath (Authors of Made to Stick http://www.amazon.com/Made-Stick-Ideas-Survive-Others/dp/1400064287) had an interesting article in the July/Aug issue of Fast Company http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/117/column-made-to-stick.html. The article split people into two groups; the fixed mindset and the growth mind set. The fixed mindset group believes that leaders are born and intelligence is innate and static. The growth mindset group believe that leadership and intelligence can be learned and improved by training your brain like a muscle.

Growth mindset folks will take on projects that will stretch and build their skills.

At my current company I have been able to wear many hats, allowing me to stretch myself and push my career in new directions. One technique that I have found useful for growth is asking “What could I be doing better?” Honest answers to this question from supervisors, customers, and yourself can be truly invaluable to push yourself to new heights.


No comments: